Although it’s easy to feel pressure to do all sorts of things during the holiday season, if you stop and think about it for a bit, you realize it’s usually the simple moments that create the most nostalgia.
The act of being together, no matter what you’re doing, is what matters most.
Here are 25 Simple & Free Christmas Activities to help you stay grounded and enjoy each other.
- drive around looking at lights
- go caroling
- make fun decor together – snowflakes, ornaments, paper chains, etc.
- have a holiday movie night
- make cards
- go shopping for simple gifts or make gifts together
- have a game night
- make funny photo props and take silly pictures
- have a snowball fight or go sledding or snowmobile-ing
- make snow cream!
- read Christmas stories together, or pick a chapter book and read it aloud with hot cocoa
- take on some holiday baking and/or decorate cookies, with the added bonus of making it smell festive
- play flashlight tag
- make a holiday scavenger hunt
- make the perfect holiday playlist
- visit a living nativity or other plays/programs
- attend a holiday parade
- find the perfect tree
- decorate a gingerbread house
- try out a new recipe to consider adding to your holiday menu
- come up with a new holiday tradition
- have a slumber party under the Christmas tree
- make funny videos – you can challenge each other to come up with skits, or use something easy like Crazy Helium Booth
- look up your local library, YMCA, community center, or church activities
- write a madlib holiday letter for friends & family