this morning I sort of woke up and thought oh goooooooood it’s Monday!!! we’re cleaning our house today! I sort of heard Mr. D take Maverick to the bathroom and then get the kids going on breakfast. I thought, yay! he’s getting up first so I can finally get caught up on a little sleep! rolled over and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, only to be woken by him saying hey, it’s 8:30, we’d better get going! fuzzy brain suddenly realized I had skipped a day, and not only that but it was Father’s Day, WHOOPS. what a great way to make him feel special. so I told him sorry and that I’d make it up to him later. as hard as being a woman is in some ways, it sure is easy in others 😀
as for my own father, I had intended to write a series of posts, but that is going to have to wait for another day because there is a lot of back story there. the good things that you should know are that he taught my brothers and I an impeccable work ethic. I seriously haven’t met anyone with a better one. I’m also really thankful for the way he is always so willing to help us, and it comes in very handy that he knows something about pretty much everything!
back to the amazing Mr. D, I know I’ve mentioned here and there how much he spoils all of us, but it really is rather epic. if you don’t want to be jealous, perhaps don’t read this. but seriously, I do recommend making a “wishlist” if you aren’t married yet. I wrote one as sort of a joke many years ago, and am truly amazed at the way God has fulfilled it with the man he gave me. can’t find it at the moment, though, boo!
he spoils us:
- always warms up the car in the winter
- always handles the trash
- always takes care of the recycling
- SO many back/foot rubs for me!
- does his own laundry
- cleans up the kitchen OFTEN
- cleans in general
- puts the kids to bed (now that they are older)
- mows the lawn/handles all the outside stuff
- does our home maintenance even though he hates it (he does tend to put this one off :))
- plays fun/creative things with the kids
- does a good job with teaching them new things
- makes AWESOME eggs, and breakfasts in general – one of the things my wonderful father-in-law taught him so well 🙂
all of this, without being asked!!! because he rocks as a partner, and we really are a team. hopefully this doesn’t make it look like I don’t do anything, LOL.
a few of my favorite creative parenting techniques that he’s made up:
- “let’s get the grumpies out!” (holds them head over heels over the trashcan and shakes out all the grumpies)
- “cry MORE! I can’t HEAR YOU! is that all you got?! come on!” (for when they’re whining and being ridiculous about something and refuse to be happy)
shoot, I can’t think of the other ones right now, but sometimes he is just brilliant 🙂
of course the most important father figure in my life is God. and can I just say that he totally ROCKED this day?! soooooo beautiful!
Mr. D’s soccer tournament was today and the kids and I really enjoyed it. SUCH a good, on-the-edge-of-your-seat sort of game! and they WON with a tie and the subsequent penalty kicks – woot! I was hoping that this year’s Father’s Day picture could include a medal, yay 🙂
we ended the day with some gorgeous outside time. sigh.
turns out, it wasn’t a fail at all 🙂