Every night before we go to bed, we put away any mess left from supper, shut windows, turn off lights, check that the doors are closed properly, and put a kitchen cart in front of the door in our kitchen.
Well, that’s a story.
Even though our kids are both old enough now to know better than to go out exploring on their own without asking, they still sometimes do a bit of sleep-walking. So in short, we’re just trying to make it harder for one of them to get out without us realizing it. Yes, it’s definitely a rachet way to go about things and not our first choice by any means.
It’s also getting a little too close for comfort to winter here in the Midwest, which means we’re starting to plan our southern migration… last winter we were away for 4 months, and we’re looking forward to something similar this year.
For these reasons, and because we just love smart stuff, we were excited for the chance to try out PEQ (peek), a smart home service that is, well, wonderfully smart.
PEQ is a simple and flexible way to view, control, and receive alerts from your home anywhere… at work, on vacation, or traveling.
PEQ empowers you to live life on your own terms – and you know we’re down with that!
- Work without distraction
- Travel without worry
- Fix what you forgot
- Protect what you love
Through a single app on your laptop, smartphone, or tablet, you can view and control your home from anywhere. Want to make it look like you’re home when you’re not? Just turn on a lamp every so often 🙂
How does PEQ work?
- Pick the devices that fit your needs. (We got to try out a water sensor, door/window sensor, lamp module, motion detector, and camera, for example.)
- Then sign up for PEQ’s monthly service, which is competitively priced at $9.99 a month.
- Install them easily on your own, or with help from PEQ – I let my Mr. Techie tackle it, but it definitely wouldn’t have needed someone technical. He did say that he had a little hiccup in the setup process because he wanted to change one of the options but there wasn’t a way to go back, so he tried the browser’s back button and then got a little lost for a bit – perhaps a little clunkier than he was hoping.
- Set up the rules (alerts) that best support your needs. THIS – we both found the rules and controls so cool!
See what we set up!
You can choose your mode to trigger the different rules you have in place.
What do PEQ customers get from the monthly subscription?
- Ability to connect an unlimited number of devices to the PEQ service
- Access to the best user interface in the smart home industry
- Live, professional customer care and tech support seven days per week (always a huge plus in our book!)
- Extensive storage of video and pictures
- Live, streaming video to your laptop, smartphone or tablet (We found this a little laggy for some reason…)
- Regular updates to the user interface and apps to add new features and functionality, essentially future proofing your investment
- The “phew” factor. PEQ relieves you from constant worries about the safety and stability of things you own at home, and the people you love while you’re away.
- The “personalized” factor. PEQ empowers you to control your home on your terms from anywhere. Add as many rules as you want. Add as many devices as you want. (The devices aren’t free, but they’re not horribly priced, either – this is something I could see building on over time.)
- The “DIY” factor. No technical knowledge required. (But if you run into an issue, tech support is available for hand-holding :))
Our Personal Conclusions
- If we had a basement that was prone to water leaks, the water sensor would be super helpful.
- Of the devices offered, I think the thermostat control would probably be the one we would use the most in general.
- It would also be sweet to set a lamp to come on automatically when we come home and the sensor detects the door opening.
- It’s surprisingly satisfying to be able to monitor when your door opens and closes – for example, we can check our history and see when we left yesterday morning and when we came home last night 🙂
We would so love to continue this service to be able to check on things while we’re away for the winter, but we realized it would mean we’d also have to pay to keep our internet here on the whole time, which unfortunately is about $70 more than we want to be spending on something we aren’t here to use.
Interested in trying out PEQ for yourself? I have to warn you, having all that power at the touch of a button might be a little addicting…
PEQ is available for purchase online at mypeq.com and various Best Buy locations across the US, with more distribution partners being announced this fall.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.